Whiplash is an injury to the neck. This type of injury occurs when your neck is forcefully pushed backward and forward, similar to the way that a whip cracks. Fortunately, the professionals at Dirks Chiropractic can provide treatment to relieve the painful whiplash symptoms.
What Are the Most Common Causes Of Whiplash
There are several ways that whiplash can occur. The most common causes include:
- Car accidents: Car accidents, specifically rear-end car accidents are common causes of this injury.
- Physical abuse: This injury can occur during a physical assault, specifically if you are punched or shaken.
- Contact sports injuries: Collisions while playing contact sports such as football can result in whiplash.
What Are the Symptoms Of Whiplash?
In some cases, the symptoms of whiplash begin immediately. In others, it can take up to 24-hours to start experiencing symptoms. They include:
- Neck pain
- Stiff neck
- Loss of range of motion in the neck
- Headaches that begin at the base of the skull
- Pain and tenderness in the shoulders and upper back
How Is Whiplash Diagnosed?
Whiplash can be diagnosed during a physical exam. Your doctor would first check the range of motion in your neck, and see which movements cause an increase in pain. They will also check for tenderness in your shoulders and upper back. Finally, your doctor will test your reflexes and your arm strength.
Your doctor may order image tests, including X-rays, MRI, or a CT scan. These tests are often performed to rule out bone fractures, damage to the ligaments, damage to the spinal cord, and other soft tissue injuries.
How Is Whiplash Treated?
Immediately after the accident, the emergency room doctor will recommend pain medication, muscle relaxers, and a soft collar. These treatment methods are just temporary measures to relieve the pain. To treat the injury long-term, you should schedule an appointment with a chiropractor. There are a few treatment methods that a chiropractor can use to manage your pain and other symptoms.
- Spinal manipulation: During the accident, your spine will have likely become misaligned, which is what is causing your symptoms. A chiropractor can perform spinal manipulation, which can straighten out your spine, helping to relieve the symptoms.
- Muscle relaxation or stimulation: During this procedure, your chiropractor would use gentle stretches to the muscle to relieve the tension. Gentle pressure is also applied to trigger points, which can treat your pain and other symptoms.
- Strengthening exercises: Strengthening exercises can help reduce your pain and improve your range of motion. Your chiropractor can treat you to these exercises at home to help speed up the recovery process.
If you are suffering from whiplash, our chiropractor at Dirks Chiropractic can help. We can create a whiplash treatment plan to help relieve you of your pain and other symptoms. To schedule an appointment for chiropractic care in Greenville, give us a call today. After your first visit, you should start feeling some relief.